By Georgi Bomb
Not only that, but they have announced the release of their new EP, The Swordsman, and throughout May, will be unleashing all four tracks as free downloads.
So after five years, what does this new name mean? “This new name for us means ‘Of the land of the evening star’ and the word ‘Vesperia’ was one of the proposed names for Canada before our country’s name was decided upon,” explained Morgan Rider of the chosen name’s origins.
It may come as a relief to Bolero fans that Vesperia have continued to take the best parts of thrash, black metal and traditional folk music and combine it into one, almighty being that is Vesperia. Their aim is to intensify every element of their epic orchestrations, throat-crushing speed and ear-piercing guitar riffs, which can be found on The Swordsman.
The first, self-titled track can be retrieved from Vespieria’s Bandcamp page. The Swordsman sets the level with a fantastic opening groove. It’s hypnotizing quality make it impossible to not nod your head.
With a comparison to the likes of Immortal as far as the progression goes, this is metal at its blackest, with smooth changes and crushing vocals, which really steal the show.
Slightly poor production leads to a rather prominent snare however it is actually a nice touch. The subtle piano and melodic sounds are intriguing and add a certain delicacy to the masculine brutality.
There is a lot crammed into this one song but it doesn’t sound too busy. Everything has a rightful place and the result is a stylistic, Viking metal symphony with a black metal edge.
This month, Vesperia will also be on tour with fellow metal warriors Crimson Shadows, playing the following dates in Ontario.
- May 18, 2012 – The Port – Barrie, ON w/ Crimson Shadows, Goliath, The Isosceles Project
- June 1, 2012 – The Granite Club – North Bay, ON w/ Crimson Shadows, The Killing Field, Face the Hate, Sign of the Raven
- June 2, 2012 – The Serbian Centre – Sudbury, ON w/ Crimson Shadows, Before the Black Gates
- June 8, 2012 – The Corktown Pub – Hamilton, ON w/ Crimson Shadows, Deathmarch
- June 9, 2012 – Dominion House Tavern – Windsor, ON w/ Crimson Shadows, Aeron’s Wake, Final Stage, Nepenthe
- June 22, 2012 – The Atria – Oshawa, ON w/ Crimson Shadows
- June 29, 2012 – The Brass Monkey – Ottawa, ON w/ Sonburst, Crimson Shadows, Signs of Chaos
Keep an eye on Culture Bomb for a full review, coming soon.